The honors keep rolling in for former Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate as the junior has been…
NEW YORK – University of Notre Dame junior wide receiver Golden Tate was named to the Associated Press All-America first team on Tuesday. He now has made all five teams used to determine the consensus All-America designation. The Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), Walter Camp Football Foundation and Sporting News have already named him a first-team All-American.
Tate (Hendersonville, Tenn.) is Notre Dame's 31st selection in school history to achieve unanimous All-America status, most all-time by any FBS school.
The 2009 Biletnikoff Award winner, Tate recently capped off the best receiving season in Notre Dame football history. He finished with 93 receptions for 1,496 yards and 15 receiving touchdowns in 2009. Tate added two rushing touchdowns, one punt return for a score and totaled 1,915 all-purpose yards, second most in Irish single-season history.
Tate equaled or surpassed eight school records this year, including most catches and receiving yards in a season, tied for most touchdown catches in a season, most receiving yards in a career, most 100-yard receiving games in a season and career, most receiving yards per game in a season and tied for most consecutive games with a touchdown reception.
Tate ranks in the top eight nationally in nine different statistical categories and no wide receiver had more games with at least 100 receiving yards this year than Tate's nine. He also scored at least one touchdown in each of the final 11 contests for Notre Dame.
Tate, who recently declared his intention to enter the 2010 NFL draft, departs as the most prolific receiver in Notre Dame history. He recorded 2,707 receiving yards on 157 receptions with 26 touchdowns. Tate ranks second in career touchdown receptions and is tied for third in career receptions.
2009 Associated Press All-America Teams
FIRST TEAM OFFENSE
- QB Colt McCoy, Sr., Texas
- RB Toby Gerhart, Sr., Stanford
- RB Mark Ingram, Soph., Alabama
- WR Golden Tate, Jr., Notre Dame
- WR Jordan Shipley, Sr., Texas
- OT Trent Williams, Sr., Oklahoma
- OT Russell Okung, Sr., Oklahoma State
- OG Mike Iupati, Sr., Idaho
- OG Mike Johnson, Sr., Alabama
- OC J.D. Walton, Sr., Baylor
- TE Aaron Hernandez, Jr., Florida
- K Leigh Tiffin, Sr., Alabama
- AP C.J. Spiller, Sr., Clemson
FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
- DE Jerry Hughes, Sr., TCU
- DE Derrick Morgan, Jr., Georgia Tech
- DT Terrence Cody, Sr., Alabama
- DT Ndamukong Suh, Sr., Nebraska
- LB Rolando McClain, Jr., Alabama
- LB Greg Jones, Jr., Michigan State
- LB Eric Norwood, Sr., South Carolina
- CB Joe Haden, Jr., Florida
- CB Javier Arenas, Sr., Alabama
- S Earl Thomas, Soph., Texas
- S Eric Berry, Jr., Tennessee
- P Drew Butler, Soph., Georgia